“Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life”
I’ve found that the key to a less stressful life is balance. People often comment that I am always smiling and joyful. Well it is not due to my world being perfect. I go through various obstacles and experience a wide range of emotions just like you! However, I do make sure that I do not stretch myself too thin. I know my limits and priorities.
Life should evolve around wonderful memories. You do want to look back on past years, to realize you were consumed with work and missing out on moments worth living for. They say “Work hard, play hard”. Well I do not believe you should have to work hard and then wait to enjoy life. You should intertwine both work and play. BALANCE!
Oftentimes, individuals put a huge load on themselves and blame God. “God wont put more on me than I can bear” When in reality, YOU put more on YOURSELF than YOU can bear. Ask yourself this question, how do I obtain a less stressful life?
Below you will find a list that I utilized to harmonize my existence. Hopefully, you find it useful. Remember, “Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life”
- Pie chart- Create a pie chart. Make a list of your top eight priorities. Then separate the categories into their respective percentages out of 100%. For example: (this is not my personal chart) Try it out for a week. You may notice you spend more time working long hours than with your family and you want extended family time. Then you need to adjust the work percentage. Try it out for the next week. Keep doing this process until you find the schedule that works best.
- Join an organization/club- Go to that dance class you wanted to try or join that organization. Invest in yourself and the things you love to do!
- Travel- Explore the world and gain new experiences
- Say no- You may have to hurt someone’s feelings but sorry.
I ain’t sorry!Your sanity matters and you cannot make it to every celebration.
- Think before– At times, people catch you in a good moment when they ask you to attend their event. Therefore, you say, YES! Before you give an answer try saying, “Okay I have to check my schedule and get back to you”. I hate committing to something then having to go back and say, “Oh I cannot make it”.
- Prayer- I do not know your load but I do know that PRAYER WORKS. Ask God to strengthen you in your time of need. God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble- Psalm 46:1. I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me-Philippians 4:13. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak– Isaiah 40:29
We are in this journey together.